18.10.11

The Simple Joy of a Smile

Uganda Day 57(?!?!)

Happy Tuesday All! It has been a whirlwind of a weekend, but the first semi-relaxing weekend I've had in a long while. Saturday was wonderful and fun but not nearly as productive as it needed to be. A good half of our little USP family ventured into Kampala. Normally such a journey requires a ride in a 'taxi' or a 14 passenger van jammed with random people that are picked up on the journey.
However, since there were so many of us, we filled an entire taxi and so our trip was very quick and within an hour we were in Kampala. The morning we spent meandering through craft markets and most people spent a good amount of money and, prolly the only time I will ever say this, I did not spend enough money. Apparently, after October ends prices go up and so I was attempting to start and finish my Christmas shopping in a day. Needless to say that did not happen. Alas...but I did end up with some cute things. After unsuccessfully mastering the craft markets Lacey, Michael, and I headed to meet Roland, a friend of my friend Hayley. It was truly wonderful to have someone with us who knew Kampala and after lunch he took us into the heart of chaos. Owino, the Ugandan market place where the aisles are maybe 2 feet wide and you need to know where your money is all the time and be aware. It was pretty crazy. After buying some African looking fabric, it was time to head back to Mukono. The crazy thing about getting a taxi is you better make sure that they are REALLY going where you want to end up. Apparently, it is not uncommon for a taxi conductor to tell you the taxi is going where you ask even though it really isn't. Thankfully, all three of us got into a taxi that was indeed headed to Mukono and arrived safely and in one piece. Just a really fun day!

Sunday, I was really excited to do laundry. Shocker, huh? Its amazing the little things that bring you joy like clean laundry when you haven't had any in weeks...Anywayssss Sunday morning I got up pretty early and did some dishes and homework before walking myself to church. Normally, I take a private hire with Maama Aidah and Harriet, but this week there was a special guest from Nigeria speaking and so they wanted Maama Aidah at church early so she took a boda-boda 'earlier' and thus I was left with my feet as my only form of transportation. The funny thing is that by the time she left she was not much ahead of me...Gotta love 'African time'! I really enjoyed my walk to church. I was honestly a bit worried I wouldn't be able to find my way there. I mean I have only been there twice and only walked home not to church. It was great. I took it upon myself to smile and greet everyone. Its amazing what a smile can do. In the past, I have been troubled that people are excited to see me because I am white. But you know like many things being a white, American carries a stigma and if I can make that positive shouldn't I try? Joy is joy no matter the reason. If I can bring a smile to someone's face that should be a responsibility I take seriously. As a Christian, I should seek ways to be a light and to love on others. If just a smile will do it, I am getting off easy. Church was interesting. I was kinda hoping that the sermon would be more of what I am used to but it wasn't. There was one verse used and the context was off. But it was an experience, and I still love the worship hour or hour and a half. I love watching the worship dancing. After church, I walked myself home and began on Mount Laundry. I cannot even joke about the two and a half hours that ridiculous amount of laundry took me. I actually started with two little helpers, Eliannah (not Arianna..found that out this weekend) and Mariam. About half way through Mariam was amusing herself by dunking her head in the basins to cool herself off, the water was no longer clean, and Eliannah was just swirling things in the last basin. For the record, they coerced me into letting them help, I, in no way, obligated them to help...they did leave for a bit but returned just in time to help me finish and wash my socks.
As a reward for helping me I bought some bananas, chapati, and peanut butter and we shared the most amazing Sunday afternoon snack. It was split amongst us three girls, Baby Shilo, Flora, and Joy, Julie, and Eva (All women in their early to mid-twenties who live in our compound and are tenants of Maama Aidah). The rest of the evening I devoted to homework.
Monday was a beautiful day. Some days I just find joy in the most random places, but it certainly found me yesterday. I couldn't even express why, but we had power last night too and that is a beautiful, especially when you aren't expecting it. Its the small things that make the daily life sweet.
Today is again a Tuesday, time flies. I will head to Salama with my fellow 'practicumites'. Tomorrow I have a mid-term in Worldviews..prayers for that would be wonderful! Then Thursday we have a large mid-term self assessment due in Faith in Action...and then Friday we leave for rural homestays in the east. October is going far too quickly.
For those of you who are aware of Obama sending troops into Uganda...The program is in contact with the embassy in Kampala and they are not putting any restrictions on travel or such. The US has had troops in Uganda for quite sometime, as Uganda is the US's strongest ally in this region. Also, the LRA has not been present in Uganda for sometime, but as LRA started in Uganda, Uganda feels responsible for their actions and has a pretty strong front against LRA. LRA are mostly in the Congo and West African Republic as of now and most of the troops, while not 'fighting troops', will be in those areas and are just stationed in Uganda. Your continued prayers over that situation would be greatly appreciated.
Food for thought from my Monday Bible Study:
Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
-Philippians 2:1-4
In closing, I want to encourage you all to smile more. Be a catalyst of joy!
God is good!

2 comments:

  1. You are beautiful, my friend; a shining daughter of the Most High God, and I love you. Also, am praying for you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Allison. I love you your prayers are much appreciated. miss you...

    ReplyDelete