14.10.11

Sunrises and sets

Uganda Day 53

I have so much to share..Starting with Luweero. Friday we mostly spent driving, but we did stop at a mass grave. It seemed pretty anti-climactic after all we saw in Rwanda. But during debrief we talked about the difference that in the states mass graves do not happen but we are more a fan of memorials and cleaning things up to be presentable and tidy. They had actual skulls there at the site and we saw them. It makes the carnage so much more real. You cannot doubt the reality or tangibility of something you see. Then on Saturday we had the bulk of our activity. We spent majority of the day at a compassion site call Nsawo child development. It was really neat to see the other side of the money given. They had recently purchased 270 new mattresses for the students and that was just a really neat thing to see that the center had cleared out an entire office for these mattresses. I really hoped to hear more of the monetary and the stats of the program, my inner business student comes out. But it was really neat to see the things this community had done. All the compassion money goes straight to the children so all the infrastructure was built and funded by the community. I guess I should explain some of this a bit better. The 270 children all live in the community. When compassion came in they were told not to create orphanages, as such would alienate the children from their extended families and communities. Thus, compassion created this site that provides a place for the children to come and on Saturdays they hang out and have a Bible lesson and get fed. These children are sent to many different schools in their community in the week. There are now faces to the turmoil of poverty. It was certainly a long day, but we played some games and served porridge and just hung out with God's children.
The kids carrying their chairs, and ours, inside after devotions and their little Bible classes.
Then Saturday night we heard from the bishop of Luweero district. He was just so real and down to earth. He told us about how the region had changed and how the people had been relying on handouts, but his goal for his 17 year ministry was to change their attitudes and get them to do things for themselves. When we asked what we can do he said pray for Uganda. And he made a point of talking about the organizations that come in and spend all kinds of money, but never come to Luweero. They invite the bishop to seminars and spend all kinds of money in Kampala on hotels and such, but the people never see that money. We seek to rescue Africa, but what are we really doing? Perpetuating a twisted cycle?
Later that night, we heard from a catholic preist, Father Gerrie who works with HIV/AIDS victims. He brought a girl with him who is HIV positive. She got HIV at birth from her mother. She is an innocent. She is younger than me. She was educated to a certain point but then her grandparents basically said because she was going to die there was no point in educating her further. Can you imagine being subjected to that be you own family? Father Gerrie has made sure she continues her education. She graduated highest in her high school,and is now in university..She was shunned by all her friends in high school when they found out she was HIV positive. She seemed so at peace. How does a loving God subject someone to that, especially since it was of nothing she had done? And she is not alone. Her story is all over. What about the woman who gets HIV from her philandering husband? Life deals some a tough hand. But I truly believe that this girl has a reliance upon God that I will never understand. As the poor know what it is to pray for their daily bread, she knows what it is to hold to God as her foundation. Will she ever be able to enjoy a marriage relationship? Is there ever a day she does not think about the fact that she is HIV positive? How will God use her to further his kingdom? And what am I to do with this new knowledge and understanding?
HIV/AIDS still gets me a bit freaked out, but these are real people.
The next morning we went to Father Gerrie's catholic Church and enjoyed the love and blessings of these precious people. It was certainly the most live Catholic experience I have ever seen. Then we headed back to Mukono and stopped in Kamapala for lunch on the way back. Talk about culture shock. We went from rural, green Uganda to concrete and Westernized structures. My friend, Wesley and I went out for Chinese and icecream and I can honestly say that is the most money I have spent on a meal since being here, which was about 7 USD...but the spring rolls were pretty wonderful (either that or we are just deprived of such delicacies).
This week was/is the 6th week of classes. We are half way done?!?!? I have a midterm next week and a self evaluation due. Then Friday, we leave for our rural homestays. I am really excited about that. No school, no internet, no Mukono noises, and time to think, I hope.
This week has been good. We mopped yet again at Salama, but this time we swept first. I am not really sure it made a huge difference, the floor was still a muddy mess. And honestly, after that the week just flies...Like oh my goodness its FRIDAY! Today it has been raining since before I woke up about three hours ago. And its been raining pretty good. Of course, today would be the day that I did not have my rain jacket. So I arrived to school pretty wet, if it hadn't been for Lacey's small umbrella we both would have been some pretty drowned looking rats. This is by far the longest it has rained since I have been here. There were some pretty crazy torrents along the road on our way here. This place really isn't meant to handle lots of rain...but its nice and cool out and I love this weather. I am a happy camper.
Please pray that I am able to accomplish all that needs to be done...
A wonderful weekend to all!

1 comment:

  1. I think that is sooo good that you were able to see the other side of Compassion. I know that the workers come back to the US and give reports on everything that they do in those places, but I think it has more impact when you actually get to 'see' it. (At least it would for me *smile*) I think it's really neat that instead of building the orphanages, Compassion was still able to help the kids without taking them away from their extended families.

    Anyways, I thought I would pop in and say "hi!" Miss you back here. Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete