5.12.11

The Beginning of the End

Uganda Day 105
I have ten days until I arrive in JFK or for that matter in Chicago. This is insane. I have nothing but two finals tomorrow between me and heading home. Home. I never thought this time would come that I would actually start thinking about packing and how to get the massive amounts of stuff that I have accumulated home. My large suitcase is going to be jammed full. I am pretty glad that I brought two suitcases.
I'd say I am pretty close to freaking out. I just cannot believe that I can count the number of days on my two hands. I have a mere five days left with my Ugandan family and I have started to realize just how much I have come to love them and consequentially how much I will miss them. The feeling is bittersweet. I cannot wait to go home and see all the familiar faces, but I am so sad to leave the beauty of this place. These people and this country have taught me so much and opened my eyes to so many things I would never have seen. I wonder if I will ever be back.
That is the question I hate the most. When will you come back?
Well...
When I have the money.
When I have the time.
When I am not too busy.
Looking into the sweet faces that inquire something that tugs so roughly on my heartstrings, I cannot help but say, "soon, I hope."
Coming home will be full of joy and leaving home will be full of heartache.
Home is where the heart is.
Can I split my heart in pieces?

2 comments:

  1. You could also invite them to visit you in the states

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sometimes, my dear, the best hearts are split into pieces, but know how to be present and, if you will, home still, where they are.
    I am praying for you in the pain and excitement!

    ReplyDelete