22.12.11

Of Transitions

Homecoming day 5
The sunset over Lake Victoria.

Today finds me home for about four days. I feel like the transition into home life has gone pretty well and as far as jet lag I haven't really experienced much. Thank Goodness!I would have to say the strangest thing so far has been the abundance of food in our house...I haven't found myself hit upside the head by reverse culture shock yet, but I have heard that many students really feel that when they get back to school in the spring. I mean one goes from a lunch line with maybe one choice (beans or g. nut sauce) to fifty different choices and combinations. Oh the luxury of American life. Right before we left our one of the program coordinators talked about there was a good chance that by the time got home we would have made more choices than a Ugandan makes in a lifetime. The community and more simplistic aspects of their culture just change that whole concept.
On another note my internal calender is quite perplexed. Last semester didn't feel like much more than an extension of summer but everyone tells me it is now Christmas time, but we have NO SNOW. That is not Christmas in Chicago...
Trepidation lurks about my thoughts of Christmas. I really worry about seeing all my family at one time and confronting stereotypes of Africa. Stereotypes that I held before I experienced real Uganda. What do I tell them? What do I share? What do I cherish and share with only few? I fear the same redundant questions. I think I have told the story of being stuck in South Africa more than anything else. This is certainly the most recent of my 'Africa' adventures, and so it is certainly fresh in my mind but I feel it is of very minimal value to my experience this semester. Why don't people ask the right questions? About the things that matter. The experiences that changed my life...
But what questions would I have asked before my time in Uganda? The same questions I am being asked. Where is my extension of grace and love? Lord, grant me grace and understanding.
There is also the extreme materialism of the American version of Christmas. My family has our beautiful tree up in the living room, a constant reminder of the consumerism of this culture. Every year many American families spend money on a tree they will just a month later throw out. But its tradition. Malls will fill with people seeking to pay the almighty dollar for one more unneeded gift. But its tradition. Based on where I am economically, I do not think I can ever say I have had a legitimate need. All the so called 'needs' I have are based on a standard of living that is so much greater than many people in this world will ever see or understand. Why am I not more thankful? Grateful? Joyful? Peaceful? Generous?
Where is my appreciation for my blessings?
May the Lord bless and keep you all this joyous season.
Merry Christmas!
Find your joy in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment