Uganda Day 15
Siiba Bulungi Friends! - Means Good Day in Luganda, the language of the local area or region of Muganda.
Yesterday was a day of chaos and thinking that I was going to miss all my classes and forget when they are in the midst of the confusion. I was very excited to finally have a schedule and some sort of routine. However, at Uganda Christian University, the first week the schedule is still subject to change and flux. On top of that the way classes are scheduled is not what I am used to. I am accustomed to my MWF classes that meet at the same time each of those days, but here classes might meet Monday from 11-1 and then Thursday from 8:30-10:30. Alas, Poor Kate is going to have to wait a bit longer for some semblance of routine. But I did have the wonderful fortune to talk with both my mom and Wes! Neither was for very long, but it was so good to hear familiar voices again. Praise God for the little things!
Yesterday I had one class, kinda two. The first, my Faith and Action class is taught by USP staff and seems like it shall be a fun adventure into culture and my own experiences. Then afterwards, I had literature, but the teacher decided that he does not want to start teaching until next week so we picked up reading packets and that was it. Last night my walking buddy, Lacey and I got our first taste of the ‘rainy’ season. It was not raining terribly on our way home, but once we were both in our respective dwellings it began to pour. It was still raining this morning when I got up, but thankfully had stopped by the time Lacey and I had to leave for school. Thank Goodness for gum boots!They kept my feet clean as Lacey and I trudged through the mud puddles on our half hour trip to school this morning.
My first and only class today is East African History, which I am honestly so very excited about! I love the way my professor talks….and he is so excited about this material. I am thrilled to get this opportunity to learn about the history of his country, as well as Tanzania and Kenya, from a Ugandan! Today my goal is to get LOTS of homework done and eat with some Ugandan students. We shall see if I have the diligence or the guts to do either.
Thank you for your prayers, love, and support!
Prayer Request – As for meeting Ugandans, I have not been very good. I do not know if I should push myself or if I should give myself a bit more time to adjust to the culture and life in general before I push for being a social butterfly. Pray that I find the right balance of pushing myself and letting myself adapt to the new.
No comments:
Post a Comment