16.9.11

Questions of Questions

Uganda Day 25

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY!
On Monday, I sat with a girl named Ivonne at lunch. She was really intruiged that I would come to Uganda. She wanted to know why I was here. Why would I come to study in Uganda? Why would I leave a higher quality education to come to Uganda? The only answer I had for her was this semester I am a student of culture. I am here to learn and experience what I cannot from books. I am here to learn from the people. To taste and touch what is Ugandan culture. I have seen this trip as nothing but a huge opportunity and blessing.

This week has been good. Somewhat of a smoothing out of general life, with the exception of homework picking up...I am really starting to enjoy my walk to and from school with Lacey. It is a good bookend to the day. It gets me in a school mindset, if that is even possible, and helps me wind down at the end. Its a pretty crazy place, downtown Mukono...It is so beautiful too with the mountains behind to offset the smog and dust of the streets. It reminds me of Mexico in some ways.

On Tuesday, I went to visit my practicum site. How it works is for 40 hours this semester I will go serve at Salama School for the Blind. Salama is a boarding school for blind primary school children. I am not sure what I will be doing or what it will look like, but I do know that in Uganda people with disabilities are greatly looked down upon. Basically, the fact that parents are paying for these children to go to school is huge. There are approximately sixty students in the school. They teach braille and I'm really excited. But I cannot lie, I feel utterly ill equipped. The other girls I will be serving with just seem to be so much better with kids and I just do not know what to do with myself. Will I be able to do anything of value? Will I be able to overcome my fears of failure and dive in? In my practicum class, we talked about what cross cultural servant hood looks like and how it is perfectly possible for one to perceive that they are serving, but when evaluated by the host culture it comes off as acting superior or not service at all. I want to make sure that I push myself to be active with the kids for I fear that my hanging back around the edges will seem more like a disinterest rather than fear and uncertainty. It will certainly be interesting next Tuesday when we go back to work. Prayers for that would be so wonderful!

On Wednesday I decided that 10:30 Tea time is God time. Which is something I really needed to do. I was getting so caught up in life and writing my blog and writing in my journal that my God time was becoming the reading of a Psalm and then I climbed into bed. So I am being intentional about going to tea and sitting myself at a table alone with just my Bible, a pen, my tea, and my Jesus. Its so good. I also took my second trip to the post office, which is pretty sketchy looking. I have to be honest if I was not the one to put the mail in the box I would have wondered if it ever made it out there. I guess we'll see if any of the mail makes it home...

Today, I had faith & Action. I am really coming to love that class! We talked about the role of the Holy Spirit in evangelism and theology. I love how the things we talk about in these classes relate to the things that I was wrestling with last semester. It leaves me asking questions and just puzzling so many different aspects of life and ministry and the gospel. Like can Africans have different theology and still be correct? Why is it so easy for us, Western Christians, to say yes, healings and miracles happened in the Bible, but discredit them so freely today? Why do we put God in such a small box? by putting him in a box we aren't limiting God, but limiting our faith.

Hey All, have a great weekend!
Tomorrow I get to go to a wedding! That should be super exciting and then on Sunday, I am going to try and join a Bible study held here at the school called Alpha (to meet some Ugandans and dig into my Bible). Please keep me in your prayers!

For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. - 2 Corinthians 5:14-15
Sula Bulungi!

No comments:

Post a Comment