19.9.11

For Which I Have No Words

Uganda Day 28

This weekend was crazy! It came and went so quickly. Saturday, I washed more clothes, by myself this time and it only took me an hour and a half. I am pretty proud of myself. At three my mom's choir was supposed to sing at this wedding reception. But it was pouring. So we did not leave until 5:30. I do not know if they postponed the reception or what but everyone was just arriving when we got there. I was one of two white people in the crowd, which I was honestly surprised by...Anyways, so there I was sitting in the second row, this white girl, who knew neither the bride nor groom and they were videoing the crowd. Oh my goodness I can just hear them now, a year or so later, do you know that white girl??? The reception was basically just a bunch of speeches and surprisingly most were in English, which was nice for me. And the food was good. And I made a little friend by letting her cut me in the food line. Oh man did that girl yammer. She was very cute, but I had no idea what she was saying. After lots of music and a random dance team the Bride and Groom received gifts. They also took donations. Someone gave them a mattress. I thought that was pretty funny.

Sunday. Oh Sunday. That was one heck of a day. Church is going to be a challenge for me. I really want to understand the spirituality of my host family, but I just do not feel like I will be fed there this semester. The sermon was kinda in Luganda and kinda in English so that was a challenge, but also the speaker/pastor opened his Bible and read maybe two verses and then spoke for nearly two hours on blessing. Now normally I would just be like wow no. Not ok, but in one of my classes, faith & action we have been talking about the role of the Holy Spirit. What actions does the Holy Spirit take or make? Is it possible that this man was being a vessel for the Holy Spirit to speak to the church? How does one judge that? We have also talked about how the African church is different from the Western church of which I am accustomed. And just how the Holy Spirit reveals himself in different ways in different cultures and so some aspects of African Christianity might make me uneasy. So what is it? Am I uncomfortable because I am stuck in my narrow definition of Christianity? Am I justified in my discomfort? I just do not understand how the more I learn about my faith the grayer things become.

But then that is why they call it Faith.

I'm not feeling super well today. I'm hoping it will pass quickly. I do not have time to get sick. Ahhh...life is good. And homework is well...the semester is picking up. Please keep me in your prayers.
Forward into another week I plow.

2 comments:

  1. Awww I loved reading this. Your thoughts on the wedding made me laugh a lot. I will keep praying for you. Love you Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I'm glad. Thanks Em. That means so much to me! love you too!

    ReplyDelete