19.8.11

A Little Bite of the Big Apple

Yesterday was a long one. Wes and I left home at 5:30 and arrived in New York at 10 pm. The drive went so well and the scenery was spectacular. We stopped in New Jersey for dinner and we were asked if we would like the check before we got our meal. The area up here is beautiful! Let me tell you, I have never been to such a beautiful train station!
The actual station
the view from the platform.

We are staying up out of the city with some distant relatives of my mom's who are wonderful hosts! Today we went to the Statue of Liberty and were rained on while waiting in line to get on the ferry, Ellis Island was also on the docket, WTC memorial and site
(which now just appears as a large construction site so we were not able to get a great view of it),and then we went on the New York Water Taxi and got a tour of the bay and up the Hudson with views of the Brooklyn bridge and such, we got off at the Intrepid Air & Space Museum, and for our last adventure we went to the New York skyride (a simulator that exhibits the sites of New York city, and in our opinion was hardly worth the $42). After that we dragged our tired feet all over midtown Manhattan trying to find a sit down pizza place, but all we could find were places with pre-made pizza, and thus, we settled on Friday's. I'm pretty sure both of us got pretty close to sleep on the train back up the Hudson.
Wes and I at the Statue of Liberty.

Her presence exceeded my expectations.

The processing room on Ellis Island. 12 Million Immigrants passed through this hall. Can you imagine the turmoil, the joy, the fear, and the noise?

A random strike going on by the Ground Zero site. By the way, if you do not know what they are planning for a memorial for 9/11 you should check it out. Its pretty sweet and scheduled to open on the 10th Anniversary in September.

Today was a draining day and my feet are throbbing. This city is spectacular, but so large. And today we only covered very little ground. Tomorrow promises to be another day of chaotic exploration and tired feet.

1 comment:

  1. Kate, I am so proud of you! When I think of who I was when I was just 20 years old it just makes me laugh. Mexico, Europe, and now Uganda! I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for you. He is creating in you a remarkable young woman. He is the potter and you are his clay!

    ReplyDelete